Lewis County, West Virginia
West Virginia Department of Transportation Division of Highways
1900 Kanawha Blvd., East
Charleston, West Virginia
Mr. Greg Bailey, Director Engineering Division
As part of its ongoing bridge replacement program, the West Virginia Department of Transportation contracted with Randolph Engineering to design a replacement bridge and associated roadway re-alignment for the existing one-lane bridge spanning the West Fork River near the historic Jackson’s Mill Conference Center. The existing one lane,
concrete arch bridge was rated structurally deficient and functionally obsolete due to inadequate lane width and sight distance.
Founded on semi-integral abutments and solid shaft piers the new bridge consists of three spans utilizing Grade 50W steel with a composite cast-in-place reinforced concrete deck. The bridge spans 300’ with a clear width of 28’ and is flared along one approach and is horizontally curved. To enhance the bridge aesthetics and attempt to match the rural and historic surroundings we utilized concrete form liners in a stone pattern on most exposed concrete surfaces and utilized an anodized bronze color for the railing system. The scope of work included approximately 1000′ of approach roadway as well as R/W and Utility Relocation Plans
Surveying services included horizontal and vertical control as well as topographic mapping and hydraulic cross sectioning of the stream.
Awards: 2001 “Engineering Achievement Award”
Construction Cost: $1,800,000.00
Key Personnel: Project Manager – Aaron C. Randolph, P.E.